Monday, November 23, 2009

Unschoolers Rock!

What is it about unschoolers being so cool? I got to hang with some new friends yesterday, some I had met last year at Live and Learn briefly, and some we met just then, mixed in with friends in our local group. I don't know if other people have this experience, but every time I get to meet some unschoolers, I feel like my cup runneth over. Instant connection. Total acceptance. Fun!

Maybe it is the peace of being around other people who you know "get it" about respectful parenting. No yelling, shaming, or controlling to suffer through. Maybe it is the sense of going with the flow and following the path of fun and comfort. The lack of "have to" and "should" and "because I said so". The genuine regard for the kids and their needs, the open minds about what is good and okay. So refreshing.

I don't think I can adequately explain this to those who are not on the unschooling path. I hate to just say, "You don't know what you are missing" but.... *Sigh*

All I know is that when I get to spend some time with other unschoolers, I never come away from the experience wishing I had said this or done that. I feel accepted, understood, known. It feels so good. I'm not the freak in the room who disagrees with most of what is said, but can't speak up because she knows she is alone. And they would not understand, even if I tried.

I'm grateful for my unschooling friends. I'm grateful for the internet that allows me to hook up with unschoolers from across the state and arrange meetings with strangers, or I should say "friends I have not met yet". I'm grateful for unschooling. Period.

4 comments:

Unschoolers Rock the Campground said...

Couldn't agree with you more!

Cap'n Franko said...

As we used to say in New Orleans:

True dat, sistah!

Tara @ TheOrganicSister said...

If only the whole world could experience the same...

flowers said...

I've been thinking about this because recently we've met a couple of young families and it seems like it will be really fun and then they start talking about school and I think, "How is this going to work?"

Part of thinks it's lesson to let go of judgment--just because they don't unschool doesn't mean we can't be friends.

BUUUUUUT........

there's a pretty big philosophical gap there and sometimes I just don't want to go there. It's too exhausting. lol