Monday, August 13, 2012

PRIMAL-ish PIZZA CRUST

Thought I would put this here, even if it is already on facebook.  Redundancy is a good thing when it comes to saving digital info, right?


I'm not gonna call this fully Primal, or grain free, but it is gluten free. I have tweaked the flours to go for more protein and fat and less carb, but there is a fair bit of carby carb left. SO, if you are going for a very low carb diet, you might not want to make this. However, if you want pizza as your 20% or as a cheat, or even on a carb re-feed day, this should fit the bill nicely! I have yeast in this because I like the taste. If you don't want it you could add some baking soda, or just rely on the eggs for lift. My goal with this pizza was to make a compromise between the purely paleo/primal purist crusts and your standard gluten free - but chock full of carbs- crust. I want to have my pizza and eat it, too!
125 grams blanched almond flour
100 grams coconut flour
100 grams sweet rice flour
100 grams tapioca starch
75 grams potato starch
2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp guar gum
1 Tbsp sea salt
4 tsp active dry yeast
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2-1 cup warm water
1 cup cheese (I like 1/2 parmesan and 1/2 mozzarella)
1 cup finely shredded zucchini/summer squash
3 eggs
1. Mix flours, starches, gums and salt in a big mixing bowl until well combined, with no lumps.
2. Add yeast to 1/2 cup warm water to proof.
3. Add cheese and zucchini to the flour mixture and mix and rub the ingredients together until fully mixed.
4. Beat eggs in a small bowl or measuring cup. Add yeast mixture and oil, then add this to the big bowl of flour. Mix well, adding more water if needed. It will be a moist dough, but it should hold it's shape well.
5. Let rest/rise for 1 hour. It won't rise like wheat dough, but those yeasties will be eating some of the sugars for ya! And making the yummy taste of pizza dough.
6. Divide dough into 2 or more lumps. Roll out between sheets of parchment paper to desired thickness. I like them thin because they will puff up in the oven by about double. When I get the circle I want, I take off the top parchment and fold over the edge of the dough to make a little crust - about a 1/2 inch wide or so. Then I put the parchment back on, put my hand under the bottom paper and flip the whole thing over. It makes a nice looking edge that imitates a wheat dough crust, if you care about that sort of thing. Take off the top paper and brush olive oil over the whole top of the crust.
7. Put in a 500 degree oven for five minutes, preferably on a pizza stone, leaving the parchment under the crust. If you don't have a stone, a cookie sheet is fine.
8. Take out of oven, top as you see fit and return to the oven for another 5-7 minutes, or until it is as bubbly and browned as you like. Enjoy!

Makes 2 pizzas, with about 25 grams of carbs per slice, if you cut 8 slices per pizza.  Not horrible, but a treat, for sure.  Good thing this is a very filling pizza.

No comments: