Saturday, February 21, 2009

Galumpha!

Today we went to see a show at the local historic theater venue, The State Theater. The show was Galumpha, and it was awesome! A and C are working on a Galumpha inspired act for the talent show at the Good Vibrations conference this fall, as I type! Yes, I said C. My sweet unassuming husband has decided it would be cool to do acrobatic stunts with his daughter on stage in front of a room full of unschoolers. Whodathunkit?
Here is sample of the show:


Galumpha - The Blues from AWP on Vimeo.

From the Galumpha website:

Anthropologists have found “galumphing” to be one of the prime talents that characterize higher life forms. Galumphing is the immaculate rambunctiousness and seemingly inexhaustible play-energy apparent in puppies, kittens, children, baby baboons – and also in young communities and civilizations. Galumphing is the seemingly useless elaboration and ornamentation of activity. It is profligate, excessive, exaggerated, and uneconomical. We galumph when we hop instead of walk, when we take the scenic route instead of the efficient one, when we play a game whose rules demand a limitation of our powers, when we are interested in means rather than in ends. We voluntarily create obstacles in our path and then enjoy overcoming them. In the higher animals and in people, it is of supreme evolutionary value. --Excerpt from "Free Play – Improvisation in Life and Art," by Stephen Nachmanovitch, pp. 43 – 44, used with author’s permission.

Sounds like unschooling to me! I have always been the type to jump up on a wall to walk, instead of staying on the ground, or ride across the parking lot on my cart full of groceries. I like to galumph! How about you?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who still rides the cart across the parking lot.

~Tara

Sandra Dodd said...

I'm looking forward to that talent show! I like that book you're reading, too. It's very inspiring and comforting.

Miranda said...

Tara, I knew there was a reason I liked you so much...

Sandra, I'm not reading the book, but I want to. And when I told A that you were looking forward to the show, she gulped, "Aaaa, the pressure!"