Thursday, January 14, 2010

Homemade Lotion

This is for Justine:

For years now I have been interested in making my own cosmetics and toiletries. I have hit upon a great recipe for lotion. I like it because it is light and does not separate. I can even use it on my face. OK, here it is:
2 Tbsp stearic acid powder
1/4 cup coconut oil (I have made this recently with half coconut oil and half cocoa butter and it is even nicer!)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup distilled water
Melt stearic acid and oil(s) together. I use a glass measuring cup set in a pan of water on the stove. Dissolve baking soda in distilled water and heat to almost boiling. Microwave works great for this. Stir the water solution into the oil. Mixture will foam up so be sure the container is big enough to handle at least twice the volume. Mix fully and let cool. Add any essential oils you desire for scent when cool. This gives you one cup of lotion.
Let me know if you try it and what you think! Oh, I should say that I got the recipe from the book Natural Beauty at Home by Janice Cox.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yippee!! I'm online now (after being seriously disappointed at what I could find at Whole Foods today) and I'm getting ready to order a shampoo bar and some lotion making supplies. It looks like I can order the stearic acid from MountainRoseHerbs.com which has all kinds of supplies that I like. Thanks. I will try this one first and let you know how we like it!