Thursday, September 29, 2005

I feel a rant coming on...

Today was better than yesterday, but that is not what I am going to talk about tonight. I have to get some thoughts off my chest, so watch out. I was thinking about this blog and our life lately and how my life is a bit more public due to writing about it every day and how I am resenting the fact that I have to make my life "look" like something in particular or I risk judgment from certain factions, and, and, and I don't like it. I know I am doing this of my own accord and no one is forcing me to write every day. That is not my point. My point is that if there were no such thing as children in school to have to compare my children's life to, I would not have this blog. If it were only about what we did everyday in our lives, which is ultimately how I see it, I would not feel the need to write about it publicly. It is about justifying to the world that our lives are real and whole and good, without school. If there were no such thing as school, it would just be life and there would be no need to say anything about it.

So, just to be clear to anyone out there reading this who does not understand unschooling, this blog will rarely if ever report my children doing anything remotely like what they do in school. Except if my girls take it upon themselves to do something that children in school might do. And except if I offer something, and they want to do it, that resembles schoolish stuff, but my motives will be far and away NOT what the school motive would be. We do not do school. I don't care what the kids in school are being forced to do. I know my kids are learning everyday and they have not failed to learn everything they have ever needed when they have needed it. They know they are smart and strong and capable and where they feel lacking, they know they will learn, in time. I have no fear.

I hope I have made myself clear. So don't go looking for school here. You won't find it and you won't understand what is here if you do. What is here is a family of people living their lives as they choose, hopefully enjoying their choices and undoubtedly learning something along the way. The living comes first and the enjoying comes second and the learning comes last. Life is too short, and precious, for me to be made to feel that I have some standard to live up to. So I vow to stop doing that to myself.

If you are someone who loves me and my kids and what I have said tonight has scared you, I implore you to get online, go to Google and type in "unschooling". Then commit yourself to read for an hour a day all that you find, until you have no more fear. Then, and only then, will you have the right to judge. And then, and only then, will you no longer see the need.

No comments: